There Is A Difference
As I've been staying out in Harris Station the past few days, I need to explain to you urbanites that just because I live in a small town does not mean I live in the country.
I've been in the country for the past five days and it's been very odd because in essence, I really am more of a city girl.
Things I've experienced:
- A farm feud. Lots of folks sublease their property to big time subsidized farmers. Been hearing a lot about feuds because there seems to be an amazing amount of distrust with some of the "new farmers." I honestly am just learning about these feuds so I have to tell you, my knowledge is limited.
- I have deer blood on my shoe and I can't get it off. Don't ask.
- I have eaten some deer (sorry Brittney) and needless to say, I never really had before. (I've had venison but not deer. Yeah, I know it's the same thing but out here it's different.) I was sort of not into it (see bullet number two for reasoning.)
- A coyote walked up in the yard and I thought initially it was a German Shepherd. I didn't go outside because it looked sort of pissed off. Kind of like the dog Atticus Finch shot in "To Kill A Mockingbird."
- I haven't had time to go home since Saturday so I've had to rewash clothes to wear them again (thus the reason I'm blogging right now because I'm waiting for my jeans to dry.)
- I saw a big buck with only one antler standing majestically in the tree line. Squirrel Queen says that sometimes their antlers break off. I did not know this. I silently prayed it would make a run for it, possibly to Nashville.
- I saw two squirrels who were the size of Mabel. I don't know what kind of acorns they are eating, but they are turbo sized.
- I finally fell back asleep this morning and overslept this morning. I'm working on two drug traffiking stories and should have been to work two hours ago. The symphony of snoring from SQ and her mother could have literally put the farm into flight and kept me awake until I passed out into a heap. (I got this idea from the Chinese UFO conspiracy theory last night and I swear it's true.)
- The visitation is tonight and the funeral is tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. for SQ's Granny.
After this is all over, I'm sleeping for a week.