Newscoma Has Moved
Tuesday, December 26, 2006
  Goodyear Stock Up, And Local Meeting Tomorrow Goodyear workers in Union City will be meeting tomorrow afternoon (we initally thought it was Thursday, but it's actually set for the 27th) at a huge high school gymnasium in Troy, Tenn at 1 p.m. This afternoon, I was out and about and my cell phone rang off the hook asking me if I would be there. The answer is no. Only members are invited for an informational session. I'm still unclear if they will vote as no one is really saying, but the other reason the phone has been ringing is what will happen to the guys who crossed the picket line. I do not know the answer to this question either, but I should know more by tomorrow afternoon. What I do know is this from an AP story from this afternoon.
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. shares rose Tuesday above a one-year high in the stock market's initial reaction to the company's tentative agreement with the United Steelworkers, a deal that may end a strike that began nearly three months ago.

Goodyear shares rose 40 cents, or 2 percent, to $20.12 by the close of trading on the New York Stock Exchange. The Goodyear shares had traded within a 52-week range of $9.75 to $19.75.

I can tell you the emotional impact. There is a tense relief among many of the union workers I've spoken to as well as some of the local businesses who are have also weathered this economic storm on our community.

That, my friends, I do now. We will see.

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Nothing here to see, head to www.newscoma.wordpress.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, Afghanistan
Archives


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]