Newscoma Has Moved
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
  "Reexamine Freedom of Speech?" This alarms me. This honestly should alarm everyone.
Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich yesterday said the country will be forced to reexamine freedom of speech to meet the threat of terrorism.
WHAT!
Gingrich, speaking at a Manchester awards banquet, said a "different set of rules" may be needed to reduce terrorists' ability to use the Internet and free speech to recruit and get out their message.
To quote some of my favorite pieces of works on freedom of speech, I have three responses of men who are much wiser than I and whose words are timeless. Newt might want to read them.
Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power....Ben Franklin
Or how about:
We can never be sure that the opinion we are endeavoring to stifle is a false opinion; and if we were sure, stifling it would be an evil still. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859
Or:
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky
Newty-Newt. I have not missed you at all. Please go away. My money is on Ben Franklin who could easily kick your butt in a bar fight. When did our politicians start believing that the Bill of Rights weren't of value? I'm about sick of it.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Nothing here to see, head to www.newscoma.wordpress.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, Afghanistan
Archives


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]