Newscoma Has Moved
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
  Don't Be Shy About Rooting Around The Trash At my last job, I got to travel. A LOT. Now, not so much. It's a big deal to go to Nashville on business, and there have been times I've paid my own way to go do work related things away from the country backroads of west Tennessee. This is one of the things that disturbs me so much about my current employment. I really adored that part of the job, and I sometimes wonder if it's worth it. I digress. Anyway, I was reading this and thought to myself WTF:
Bankrupt Northwest Airlines Corp. advised workers to fish in the trash for things they like or take their dates for a walk in the woods in a move to help workers facing the ax to save money.

The No. 5 U.S. carrier, which has slashed most employees' pay and is looking to cut jobs as it prepares to exit bankruptcy, put the tips in a booklet handed out to about 50 workers and posted for a time on its employee Web site.

So let me get this right. Northwest is telling workers to dumpster dive. I'm not joking.

Northwest spokesman Roman Blahoski said some employees who received the handbook had taken issue with a couple of the items. "We agree that some of these suggestions and tips ... were a bit insensitive," Blahoski told Reuters.

The four-page booklet, "Preparing for a Financial Setback" contained suggestions such as shopping in thrift stores, taking "a date for a walk along the beach or in the woods" and not being "shy about pulling something you like out of the trash."

Regardless what you think, times are tough for everyone. I do miss traveling. That's my personal stuff.

However, when you tell your employees to "not be shy about pulling something you like out of the trash" it makes me wonder if the head of Northwest or if old Roman Blahoski are practicing what they preach. I love thrift shops. I yard-sale. I love a bargain. I try to manage my money, as limited as it may be.

But, this is a bit crazy about the trash thing. Especially when these workers are looking at getting axed.

But if my bosses gave me this handbook, I would most likely throw a fit. One bonafide fit.

You see, it is my opinion that as a leader of any corporation, you have to be willing to do anything you ask an employee to do. If you are going to ask your employees to work late, you make sure you do it too. If you are going to ask your employees to work weekends, you do it too. If the toilet is clogged, don't be afraid to go find the plunger.

As a supervisor, you must be fair.

Is Northwest's leaders pulling things out of the trash for survival?

I don't think so.

Rant over.

 
Comments:
great rant. Couldn't agree more.

Sometimes the arrogance of those on top makes them believe that those of us not up there with them are blind and deaf to patronizing drivel...screw THAT!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Nothing here to see, head to www.newscoma.wordpress.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, Afghanistan
Archives


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]