Newscoma Has Moved
Sunday, May 28, 2006
  Freedom and Liberty Defined Alternet has an essay on the Top Ten Signs of the Impending Police State. (via Crooks and Liars)
Bush has famously never vetoed a bill. This is because he prefers to simply nullify laws he doesn't like with "signing statements." Bush has issued over 700 such statements, twice as many as all previous presidents combined. A few examples of recently passed laws and their corresponding dismissals, courtesy of the Boston Globe:
Also read the comments. Very interesting on what folks have to say, like this one by a poster named Arvy:
George Bush said that the terrorists hate the West because of its freedoms. Makes sense that he's taking those freedoms away in order to stop the flow of hateā€¦! Once you're all living in a police state then the terrorists will have nothing to hate you for! On a serious point: The roots of the words Freedom and Liberty have different meanings. Freedom implies that I can drive my SUV because I want to, if it impinges on your life then tough. Liberty implies I am free to drive my SUV but not if it impinges on your freedom to breathe clean air. I need to be responsible about my liberties. The rest of the world sees America as obsessed (you could say 'enslaved') by the idea of freedom. I'm reminded of the scene from 'Life of Brian' when Brian says to the mob : "Don't repeat what other people tell you!" and the mob responds as one: "Yes! We will not repeat what others tell us!" "You're all individuals" "Yes, we're all individuals!" One man says quietly : "I'm not!" and is quickly shushed by the crowd.
Just read it and make up your own mind. 
Comments:
The picture you chose to go with this post hits the nail right on the head.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Nothing here to see, head to www.newscoma.wordpress.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, Afghanistan
Archives


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]