Newscoma Has Moved
Tuesday, May 02, 2006
  22 Percent Of Registered Voters Weakley County, where I have lived a large portion of my life, has a new county mayor. Houston Patrick defeated incumbent Ron Gifford. Alot of the issue had to do with voters not liking the fact that Gifford didn't have a cell phone or used a computer. I know it sounds archaic. I've written editorials at the newspaper about this issue for the past year about how technology would help our county advance in it's quest of garnering attention for economic development. I've also given our incumbent mayor a bit of a hard time about his adamant refusal to use something as "nutty" as a cell, and that it made him look backwards and incompetent. I think the out-going mayor didn't realize I was reflecting the community's sentiments. How many times did I have to make carrier pigeon jokes in newsprint about this before the mayor started to get it? Gifford is a hell of a nice guy though. It's a hard knock, because many politicians are not giving the luxury to leave their elected offices on their own terms. The thing that really hacked me tonight though was that only 22 percent of the registered voters actually went to the polls. Jeez. I have voted in every election I can remember (I think I missed one about twenty years ago.) For me, and I can only speak for myself, my right to vote means everything. I take it very seriously. Another thing about this election is that Squirrels On Snark voted and she had a hanging chad (I AM NOT lying.) She put it back in the election machine and punched in her vote again, just to make sure. We're going electronic in August, so Woo-Hoo. (Is my sarcasm dripping enough for you?) *sigh* 22 percent of registered voters. Not even one-quarter of voters didn't think going to the polls was necessary. Now, we get geared up for August. 
Comments:
Last election with the chads, John. They are going electronic in August.
We's be special.
 
I think ours was 25% and we had write in ballots we had to use, so we still don't know the results... it's a dang shame and even more surprising I voted in the REpublican primary! did you hear the earth womble on it's axis?
 
Opps, sorry, I believe Knox turnout was only about 13%,, and probably most were Sheriff Deputies who were afriad not to vote for our crooked, I mean incumbent sheriff Tim Hutchinson..(one of several reasons I voted republican so I could vote against him)
 
Strategic voting, Julie.
Actually your county I think is the worst I've heard. Madison County only had 15 percent.
I guess I just don't get it. I embrace my right to vote. So many people don't
 
I think it's our civic duty. Women died for our right to vote.. I get really pissed at our female counterparts who don't vote,, hey there gals,, remember 1920??? do it, just b/c you can!
 
I did feel a womble, incidentally yesterday afternoon. Was that you?
 
You don't watch Colbert, and I don't watch the Man Show. Is that even still on?
 
Found out reruns are on G4. They are doing the Trek thing now, very funny stuff. As for Man Show, I saw it a long time ago when Kimmel was still on it. Never went back.
I love political satire. If done well, it's very clever.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
Nothing here to see, head to www.newscoma.wordpress.com

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tennessee, Afghanistan
Archives


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]